Wednesday, November 2, 2011

SAA Ep. #54: I Get Around

Sorry for the extended absence.  I've been busy.  First I was packing for a brief vacation (while simultaneously trying to make a birthday video for my nephew and watching the Cards compete in the World's Series), then I was on said brief vacation, and now I'm recovering from the brief vacation.  I was out of town about 3.5 days, and about 20 hours of that was driving a rental car up to KY and back.  And another 8 or so hours of that was riding as a passenger in my mom's car, but I digress.

Let's go back to that 20 hours of driving a rental car thing, because that's pretty much what this post is about.  I'm 31 years old, but until recently, I've never actually rented a car.  The only reason I did this time is because my car is dying, and I owe more on it than the car is actually worth (fun, fun!), so getting a new car isn't really an option at the moment.  Then the amazing family I nanny for decided I needed a present for being their nanny/babysitter for 3 years, and they decided to pay for a rental car for my trip to KY.  So I rented a car.

Now, the cheapest deal for renting a car around here was to rent one from the airport, and honestly, I'm not too sure that I'm supposed to rent a car from the airport unless I'm actually flying into the airport.  So when I reserved the car, I had all this nervousness aside from the usual nervousness I feel when I try anything new--like renting a car.  I was also nervous because I was renting a car when I wasn't sure I was supposed to be renting a car, but I figured I'd abide by my own version of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.  If they didn't ask me if I was flying in from another area, I wouldn't tell them that I wasn't.

My friend dropped me off at the airport and walked in with me (because I needed someone to hold my hand--I really don't do new experiences well).  Everything went smoothly.  I bid farewell to her, got in the car, and drove up to the gate to depart the rental car area. 

Now, let me just say that driving a car that's not mine is like wearing someone else's clothes--only even more dangerous.  This car only had about 1100 miles on it, so when I did something like step on the accelerator, it actually went vroom without a fight.  When I stepped on the brakes, the car immediately stopped without any coaxing.  This is what a car is supposed to do, but my poor old dying car needs prodding.  It needs a firm hand.  I actually kind of like this about my car.  I know it's not going to do something that I haven't specifically told it to do.  And this new car I was driving, well, it responded way too quickly for my comfort. And I didn't opt for the optional insurance (everyone says that's a rip-off...which I guess it is, unless you get into an accident).  So I was a nervous wreck the whole time I was driving it, which was, as I said before, about 20 hours.

But before I ever got out of the gate, I had a problem.  I couldn't figure out how to roll the windows down.  So when the guy at the gate wanted to look at my receipt, I had to pull the "helpless blonde" routine, and the nice man showed me how to roll down my windows.  I was pushing the button the wrong direction, okay.  It could have happened to anyone. 

But after the nice man taught me how to push a button, he asked me a question.  "Where are you coming from?"

Ugh.  I didn't want to admit that I was from the same city as the airport, so I said, "Around."

He said, "Everyone has to come from somewhere."

I said, "I'm from Kentucky," which wasn't a lie.  I am from KY.  That's why I was renting a car so I could drive to KY.  He just didn't need to know that specific detail. 

I got out of the airport and was on my way.  It occurred to me a couple hours into my trip that I was going to double the mileage on the rental car.  As I had unlimited mileage use for the car, I wasn't too worried (don't, ask, don't tell), but it just struck me as funny.  I had never driven a car this new, and that made me even more nervous, but eventually I got the feel for the car. 

And I drove that thing to KY and back without hurting it at all.  I didn't have a wreck.  I didn't run it off the road.  I didn't get a scratch on it.  And I was breathing a huge sigh of relief as I pulled into a gas station about 2 miles from the airport so I could refill the tank.  It was then that I opened the car door directly into a concrete pole.

D'oh.

Fortunately, the story does have a happy ending.  The car was undamaged.  I turned it in.  No one said a word about the fact that I'd doubled the mileage on the car. 

And now I can add "car rental" to my list of  life experiences. 

Woo hoo! Dream big!

No comments:

Post a Comment