Sunday, April 21, 2013

SAA Ep. #75: The Scariest Thing About My Weekend

There are many things that scare me. Spiders. Check. Snakes. Double check. Clowns. INFINITY check.

Basically, the greatest horror movie of all time would be about a creepy rodeo clown riding on the back of a giant spider and using a big ol' snake as his lasso. Seriously, you can thank me for the nightmares you'll have later on tonight.

But my scary weekend had nothing to do with clowns or snakes. There were a few spiders...and centipedes, but none of them were particularly scary. The only thing really scary about them was that I kept hearing high school aged kids say things like, "Ooh! A centipede! I'll pay you a dollar if you eat it!"

As scary as that was, it could have been worse. It could have been much, much worse. After hearing such an offer, I began silently praying I wouldn't hear an even scarier counter-offer:

"Make it TWO dollars, and we've got a deal!"

But no one said that, at least not to my knowledge....

Yes, I spent my weekend with something much scarier than spiders, snakes, or even clowns. I spent my weekend with...

YOUNG ADULTS!

THE HORRRRRROR!

Last Saturday, I was at work, minding my own business, not knowing the terror that awaited. Because at church Sunday morning, the youth pastor announced they were still short a couple of workers for a weekend-long youth event known as Disciple Now. And since I didn't have to work the following Saturday (which is now the previous Saturday...I know, I'm confused, too), I figured I might as well do something useful.

The problem? I work mostly with preschoolers and elementary school aged kids. High schoolers are a-whole-nother thing. I don't know nuttin bout leadin no high schoolers! And being a socially awkward individual, I must admit I was more than a little intimidated by those sweet, beautiful young ladies God placed in my group.

But it was a wonderful weekend. I was with another leader who is as about as extroverted as a human being can be, so she more than made up for my lack of awesome. It was a blessed time, and those beautiful young women with servants' hearts did yard work and played games and worshipped and just generally rocked. It was encouraging to experience.

I did learn I'm not as young as I used to be. I pulled pretty much every muscle in my entire left leg sprinting after the young ladies as we played a game against the other groups. And even sprinting at my fastest, I couldn't keep up with ANY of them. And I realized I hadn't sprinted in a church since *I* was an intimidating young adult.

But the weekend was amazing. The youth learned a lot; I leaned a lot. No one got hurt, not even Grace, whom EVERYONE warned me to try to make sure she didn't get hurt. I try not to use names, but it's just so ironic that the most accident prone one in my group, in possibly the whole youth group, is named Grace.

So, yes. All in all, despite the not-really-so-intimidating-after-all young adults, despite the spiders and centipedes that hopefully did not get eaten, despite the ridiculously scary amounts of calories I consumed in the form of chocolate chip cookies and potato chips, the weekend wasn't really all that scary.

But there was still one thing that terrified me this weekend. In fact, this one thing scared me more than all the other things combined. It might be the scariest thing I'm all the known universe.

You see, during the weekend, I stayed in a host home. The host home belonged to a wonderful family who had a wonderful middle school aged daughter who was saying with another group at another host home. So I got to sleep in her room.

Middle school aged girls have very scary bed rooms.

And so for two nights, I got to fix my hair and make up, change clothes, and sleep, all while THIS was staring at me:

No comments:

Post a Comment