Thursday, July 21, 2011

Just Sayin' Episode #6: It Could Be Worse

I watched a movie today with the girls I watch.  Now, I was a little reluctant to watch said movie, not because I thought it was inappropriate for the girls or anything like that.  It's just that I have seen this movie before, and I felt uncomfortably sorry for the protagonist.  But I watched it again.  And yet again, I was overwhelmed with pity for the main character that bordered on discomfort.

"Dave" in The Sorcerer's Apprentice is perhaps the most socially awkward character I have ever encountered in either film or literature.  Granted, dude had a traumatic experience in a creepy magic store in a dirty alley in New York City, where a scraggly-haired, mad-eyed Nicholas Cage got him alone and wanted to "show him something."  I'm glad the girls didn't pick up on that being creepy, because I really didn't want to have to try to explain that to them.

But this guy grew up to be mentored (or, as scraggly-haired, mad-eyed Nicholas Cage put it, "MASTERED") by scraggly-haired, mad-eyed Nicholas Cage, so even if he WASN'T the most socially awkward character I've ever encountered in either film or literature, I'm pretty sure his chances of being well-adjusted to society were slim to none.

He stuttered.  He said the wrong thing ALL the time.  He hung out with...tesla coils. 

I'm not even sure what those are?  My sister the rocket scientist probably does.  She probably hangs out with them, too.  All I know is that they have to do with SCIENCE...and in the movie they make pretty colored sparkly lightning.  And rainbow ponies.  I might have made that last part up.

So dude was UBER awkward, at least he had a pretty cool Dragon ring.  That kind of thing would appeal to a socially awkward chick like me.  But no, no.  He ended up with the pretty girl who had it all together.  Which would never happen in real life.  I mean, cool Dragon ring or no, I'm pretty sure ANY girl (even the socially awkward chicks like me) would run away from him if he admitted that he was stalking her "in a non-threatening way" or if he cancelled a date because he was getting fondled by enchanted mops. 

So my social awkwardness?  Could be worse.  I could be that dude.  ...in pointy old man shoes.

Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment