Wednesday, August 3, 2011

SAA Ep. #44: The Number Four

It's the 44th Socially Awkward Adventure episode, which means absolutely nothing, really, because I just kind of arbitrarily assign titles to these things that have little reason or rhyme.  But since is IS the 44th Socially Awkward Adventure episode, I would like to take a moment to express my gratitude to a very special number.

Four.

Four, I love you.  You are just the perfect number. 

I don't even really know why I feel for you the way that I do.  Perhaps it's the way you almost look like an A, but then you stop looking like an A and become a 4.  Perhaps it's the way you come right after three and right before 5.  Perhaps it's because you're made from four 1s, from two 2s.  Perhaps it's the way two of you become 8, or four of you become 16.  Those numbers, all the numbers that you make are special.  But none is more special than you.

No, number four, I know not why you are my favorite number.  The six year old I watch loves the number six.  In a few weeks, when she turns seven, her favorite number will be seven.  That's predictable.  That makes sense.  My love for you isn't so logical. 

But you are logical, aren't you, my love?  Of all the numbers, you are the only one who has the same number of letters that equals you.  FOUR.  There are four letters in four.  No other number can say that.  Not one, not two, not three, not five, not six, not seven, not eight, not nine, not ten.  Just...you.  Four.

I love quarters because of you.  They're my favorite coins.  If I count four of them, I get a dollar.  In a lot of places, I can purchase a soda from a machine with them.  With four of them.  Four beautiful quarters, that together make a whole.

I love the square--how four equal sides combine so...equally...to make such a beautiful, four-sided shape. 

My name even sings your praises, oh beautiful number 4.  My first name has four letters.  My middle name has four letters.  My last name, oh, my last name has eight letters, which is like four, only DOUBLED.  My full name, oh it has sixteen letters.  FOUR, FOUR TIMES.  The perfect equation for a name.

Yes, 4, I love you.  Love has four letters.  I don't think that's a coincidence.  So I'll say it four times.  I love love love love you number 4.


Ahem.

Uh...

So do you have a favorite number?  Do you know why, or like me, are you just weirdly obsessed with a certain number for no apparent reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment