Friday, February 17, 2012

SAA: Ep. #60: Attracting Strangers and the Just Plain Strange

I don’t play poker, which is probably a good thing, because I’m pretty sure I don’t have a very good poker face (GET OUT OF MY HEAD LADY GAGA!).  I’ve got a neutral face, but unfortunately, my neutral face looks angry.  I think this is because when I’m thinking about stuff, I get really into it.  My brow gets all furrowy and my eyes get all intense, and innocent bystanders think I’m angry about something. 
No, no.  I’m not angry.  I guess it just hurts to think.
One time this guy I barely knew came up to me and accused me of being a horrible person because I didn’t smile enough for his taste.  He was being rude and was totally out of line, but I thought maybe there was something to what he said.  So I tried smiling more. 
And people thought I was a little creepy because I smiled all the time.
So I went back to my neutral/angry face.
Now, don’t think that I go around scowling all the time.  I smile.  I smile when things make me happy.  Things make me happy a lot.  It’s just that when I’m not thinking about being happy, I’m neutral. 
So I don’t really understand why strangers are often drawn to me.  Apparently, I don’t have one of those naturally welcoming appearances.  Yet, I’ve had several interesting experiences in which strangers, for some unknown reason, have sought me out.
When I was in college (the second time around), I was standing in the hallway outside of a classroom, waiting for the class before mine to let out.  This guy comes up and stands beside me.  I can see him looking at me, and I started wondering if he was “checking me out.”  I’m one of those people who is just never sure if a guy is interested or not. 
Turns out, he was checking me out, but not in the way I thought.  “Hi,” he said.  “You look like someone who’s good to talk to.  So, I just had lunch with this girl in the cafeteria.  We’ve had lunch every day this week.  I’m not sure if she’s interested, but I think I’m in love with her.”
When I saw him looking at me, he was checking me out to see if he wanted to trust me, a stranger, with something personal.  That’s not the only example I have, but it’s probably the most direct and bizarre.  There have been many times when people I barely know have just started dishing out personal issues.  I studied counseling in school, and all, and I’ve been told I’m a good listener.  I just don’t understand what it is about me that makes practical (and sometimes actual) strangers want to talk to me.
The example with the guy was strange, but it didn’t really freak me out too badly.  I mean, this guy was direct, but he was sane.  Apart from being a little lovesick, there wasn’t anything wrong with his mind.  Normal people have sought me out many times.  It’s odd, but okay. 
Then—there are the people with “the crazies.”  These are the people who come up to me in public and attempt to communicate with me in their crazy language.  I’m not sure what it is about me that attracts them, and I’m fairly sure I’ll never find out.  I mean, I can’t even understand them most the time.
The other day, I was in Walmart (one of the best places to meet people with the crazies), looking over the half-price Valentine’s jewelry, when crazy lady walks up.  She says something I don’t understand at all.  I kind of mumble something back.  She shows me the jewelry she’s looking at and says (I think), “Whasshu got there lookin’ at there?”  I (somewhat hesitantly) show her the jewelry I’m looking at.
She proceeds to go on a long monologue in Ebonics/Crazy-speak.  Now, I am not fluent in either language, but I think she was telling me about how her sister-in-law had recently died, and she wanted all her family members to wear pink jewelry.  Her daughter apparently sent her to Walmart to get pink jewelry, but she wasn’t her daughter’s personal slave.  I’m not sure if I understood the story or not.  The last thing she said, in a very angry voice, was, “See now, she not be gettin’ nothin’ jewels from me.  See?  See?!  She done be gettin’ for herselves, see!”
I nodded.  Crazy lady stormed away, sans jewelry, pink or otherwise.  I was left to ponder why she felt the need to tell me about her dead sister-in-law.  Or was it her hamster?  Was it the hamster that was pink?  I really couldn’t understand.  I hope that I was able to be a listening ear for her, though.  I’m sure that even the crazies occasionally need to vent to someone besides their imaginary friends.
I went home and related this story to my roommate, who wisely said, “That woman might have been wearing a blue tooth.  She might have been talking to someone on the phone.”
I pondered this for a few minutes, and realized that the crazy lady might have been an actual sane person (with atrocious grammar).  If that was the case, then she might have been wondering why I kept showing her my jewelry and mumbling, “Uh huh.  That’s nice.  I’m sorry to hear that.  Uh huh.”  She might have even thought that I was the crazy one.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll probably say it again.  Talking to voices in your head used to just mean that you were crazy.  Now, talking to voices in your head (via blue tooth) means that you’re successful.  It’s really hard to tell the difference.
Hmm.
I’m just going to keep working on my poker face, po-po-poker face.
Poker?!  I don’t even know her!
Sorry, I felt that a good Psych reference might make up for all the Lady Gaga.

3 comments:

  1. A good Psych reference makes up for alot of things! Ha! Now you've got that song stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a crazy come up one time and after the "conversation" he left us with this word of advice/caution: "Pray for the shapeshifters."

    -Sarah Carr

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...but how do you know who's a shapeshifter and who's the real deal? That's the problem with shapeshifters...

    ReplyDelete