Friday, April 1, 2011

SAA Ep.# 23: Being Bored in Public

Peanut butter kills people.

It's not a laughing matter at all. I work with kids. I know TONS of kids with peanut allergies severe enough to kill them. I know adults with the same problem. I'm related to adults who can't eat peanuts without needing immediate medical attention.

Me? Oh, I eat peanut butter on a weekly basis. Sometimes, if I've run out of money for groceries, I eat peanut butter on a daily basis. I'm quite fond of peanut butter. It's probably one of my favorite foods. You can combine it with chocolate. You can combine it with celery and raisins. You can put it in a sandwich or a cookie or a pie or cake...even the icing. My great grandmother even put it in ice cream--which was amazing. It works equally well with jelly, jam, bananas, AND honey. You can eat it with a spoon. George Washington Carver was a genius. Peanut Butter is like one of the most amazing and versatile foods in the world.

And it kills people.

In The DiVinci Code (which I only read because everyone said it was heresy), there was actually a dude murdered by peanut. Peanuts, in their raw, roasted, boiled, and butter form, are deadly. Like if you ever found a colony of people with peanut allergies and forced them to eat peanut butter, you would have peanuts as weapons of mass destruction. Have you ever just stopped to consider this--how a food that millions of people eat EVERY DAY means SUDDEN DEATH for other people?

I have. I have pondered it at length. It's one of the many things I ponder when I am faced with being bored in public.

Public boredom happens when:

1) I am in a meeting, class, lecture, sermon, etc. and am uninterested in the topic of said meeting, class, lecture, sermon, etc.

2) When I'm waiting for something/someone and don't have anything to do while I'm waiting.

3) When I'm at a party or other social event and there's nothing to do/no one to talk with...and it's too soon to leave without being rude.

There are a variety of ways to cope with being bored in public. In high school, when I had nothing to do and didn't have any friends (aww), I'd sit all by myself and write the worst poetry ever written. I'd also sit around and ponder the potential lethality of peanut butter. I was emo before emo was cool...or before it even existed.

Being a writer has made it easy for me to have things to do when bored in public, provided I have a notebook, post-it note, clean napkin, used napkin, old receipt, program/bulletin to write on. In class, in meetings...in...church ... I've often become bored with whatever the speaker is saying, and I've used the time to work on writing ideas or poetry. I will say that USUALLY when I become bored in sermons, I TRY to write poetry or ideas that actually have to do with the sermon topic. ...Don't judge me...

I've also made a habit of staring at the carpet, at the chair in front of me, at the back of the person's head in front of me, at the ceiling...you know, whatever there is to look at. Then, I'd let my mind wander, though it really is too small to be outside by itself...

In middle school, the carpet in the auditorium where I waited for my bus had this really interesting pattern. This was back in the early 90s when those Magic Eye pictures were just so gosh-darn popular. I remember staring at the carpet trying to make magic eye pictures come out. While there were no pictures, you'd be surprised what you can make look 3-D by crossing your eyes in just the right way. I always had a gift, a GIFT, I tell you, for seeing those Magic Eye pictures. Unfortunately, like most of my gifts, it is completely useless.

The sanctuary...I mean...WORSHIP CENTER of the church I attended as a child has THE EXACT SAME kind of chandeliers as the Worship Center of the church I attend now. I know this because I spent a large portion of my childhood staring at the church's chandeliers. I stared at them, wondering why there were these little circular brass loops at the bottom of them. Was that just in case we decided to host a team of acrobats? I mean, I'm sure they could have lots of fun swinging from the little loops--the chandeliers would have made AWESOME trapezes.

I also imagined what would happen if these chandeliers ever fell from the ceiling. Morbid? Yes...but entertaining. I wondered if the deacons would all leap up and form a human barrier, protecting the other people from the falling lamps of death. Would they start shouting, "Everybody out! Pastors wives and children first!" Or would it be a free-for-all? Every man for himself! Seriously, I had like an elaborate escape plan all worked out in my mind, just in case the chandeliers started falling. Then I got Spiritual and started planning how I'd put the welfare of others before myself--I started planning how I would place myself under the falling chandeliers before they took out the youth minister. Of course, then, I had to be on constant alert, just in case one of the chandeliers began to fall.

They never did...but it could happen. You never know. ...WATCH THE CHANDELIERS...

If you're not as creative...or morbid...as I am, there's always the old standby. Play with your cell phone. It's not exactly ethical, but cell phones have opened whole new opportunities in public boredom entertainment. You can pretend to text someone. You can actually text someone. This is especially helpful if you're in a social situation (like a bad party) that involves boredom. If you're texting, then you don't have to make small talk. As you may have guessed, I've been in this situation more than once...

If you don't want to pretend to text, you can play with the phone calculator. Seriously...do you know how many things you can calculate? You can calculate how many minutes you've been alive. You can calculate how much sleep you've had in the past week. You can calculate the number of ways you can use a calculator to alleviate social boredom! The possibilities are nearly endless.

You can even calculate how long it will take to kill someone with peanut butter....

5 comments:

  1. Ruth, I love to read your blogs; however, I found this one offensive. I couldn’t figure out if you were making fun of these children who have a life-threatening peanut allergy or not and, in particular, found the last sentence dreadful. Schools will not tell parents who have children with life-threatening food allergies that they are eligible for a 504 plan which is a binding contract of proactive and reactive measures to keep these children safe and not discriminated against in a school setting. Children without these allergies can eat anything, anywhere, at any time. For more information, parents need to contact the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with PoetryWings, particulary about the last sentence. Because you stated you have relatives with this allergy and realize it can kill them (a reaction can also put them in a coma and/or leave them with permenant brain damage) I am surprised you would write it at all. I have a relative with a life-threatening peanut allergy and live the heartache with them and the frustration that comes with the affliction. I do not find your last sentence humorous at all, especially with the bullying and the threats these children receive from other people, including grown adults.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I absolutely meant no offense by anything I wrote in this blog, I clearly need to apologize because I have inadvertantly been offensive. That's never my intention by writing anything. I want to assure you that I was not making fun of people with food allergies (that would be ridiculous, since people can't help having food allergies). I have several adult friends with food allergies who are able to laugh at ease about how they can't eat what everyone else eats (though I try to be sensitive to their dietary needs). I am sorry for not taking into consideration that there are some who can't laugh about it. With that being said, I also want to assure you that the point of this particular blog was not to poke fun at anyone besides myself for letting my mind drift to bizarre and sometimes a little morbid topics. I am not planning, nor have I ever planned to actually kill anyone with peanuts or anything else. I'm sorry for accidently offending you with my last statement. I only meant it as a tie-in to the beginning of my blog. I work with kids and definitely take peanut and all other food allergies seriously. The drop-in center where I work has a no peanut policy which I support 100%. I'd like to add that in working with kids for a decade, I have honestly NEVER seen ANYTHING that could be described as bullying or threats over food allergies, so forgive my ignorance. I wasn't aware that this was a problem in some places. This blog was supposed to be light-hearted, but obviously, for some, it has been hurtful. For that I apologize. I also apologize for deleting some previous comments, but I honestly thought they were spam (I thought one of my reader's accounts had been compromised). I'd also like to thank you for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In reply to A.R. Campbell: I wanted to thank you for your apology. I knew that you were not seriously contemplating harm. Please note that not one person that I know who has a life-threatening food allergy laughs about it; they most assuredly do not laugh about it when it is their child that has it, since they know their child could suffocate to death while organs are simultaneously shutting down should they come in contact with the allergen. We are actively involved with the school and frequently volunteer. It has been about a decade that we have been living with this issue and have experienced bullying based on food allergies with the bully using the actual allergen as a weapon. We have also heard first-hand accounts from others who were directly targeted because of their food allergies and had these foods physically used against them, and we have read the many news stories from around the nation where children have been taunted or physically threatened because of their food allergies. I have researched all of this for over nine years, and you would be surprised at the amount of hatred there is from full-grown adults towards children with food allergies, and they are passing this kind of attitude along to their own kids. I have also seen cartoons which treat these allergies as a joke and alienate children with food allergies by making fun of them. Since you work with kids, the following information might be useful to you: the U.S. Government considers life-threatening food allergies a disability, and The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Management Act (FAAMA) was signed into law on January 4, 2011. Complementing that is the 504 Plan w/IHP as mentioned earlier by PoetryWings which addresses not only safety procedures, but any discrimination issues as well. Thank you again for your apology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got an email with another comment from "Me", but the post never showed up on the blog. I'm not sure why it didn't post here. Just letting you know I didn't delete it; it just never showed up. If you want to try reposting, please do so. I'm going to refrain from commenting anymore about this issue because I feel that it has been resolved. Thanks again for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete