Sunday, April 24, 2011

Embarrablast From the Past Ep. #10: The Red Box Machine

Today, I had my second experience using a Red Box machine.  My roommate and I are making Easter a movie day, and I really wanted to watch "Tangled" with her.  So I got it from the Red Box machine (the fact that I'm calling it a "Red Box machine" should probably tell you something about how out of touch I am with dvd rental technology).  It makes me think of my first experience with a Red Box machine....

My friend had a dvd she wanted me to return for her.  She was like, "I don't get off work till 9, and this dvd is due back in the Red Box at 9 or I have to pay an extra dollar.  Can you take it by for me?"

I said, "Sure.  Which Red Box machine do I need to take it to?"

She looked at me kind of weird and said, "Um, it doesn't matter which one you return it to.  You can return them to any Red Box."

I said, "Oh."

And then I took the dvd and stopped off at a grocery store to drop it off.  I located the Red Box machine and went to put the dvd in.  It wouldn't go in.  I pushed and pushed and turned it every different direction I could turn it, and I couldn't get that blasted dvd to go back into the Red Box machine.  I was too embarrassed to ask for help, and even then, everyone seemed busy.  Only they were probably watching me...and laughing...silently. 

Of course, I think everyone is watching me.  STOP IT!

So I went back out to my car and called my friend.  "The dvd wouldn't go back in the machine.  I couldn't get it in the slot!"

She said, "Did you press the "Return dvd" button?"

Awkward silence.  Then me, meekly.  "No."

I hung my head, went back into the store, walked by all the people who had just witnessed my epic battle with the Red Box machine, relocated the Red Box machine, and pressed the "Return dvd" button. 

The dvd went in the slot.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment