Tuesday, April 5, 2011

SSA: Ep. #24: Exercising Patience

If you've read any of my previous blogs, you might have caught on to the fact that I don't always play well with others. I think this is one of the reasons I got picked last (or next to last--there was that kid who smelled like cabbage) for all organized games. Also, I was probably picked last because I pretty much suck at sports.

Maybe this is why I'm one of those people who likes to exercise solo. I'm not one of those team sports sort of people. I'm not one of those group walking people. I'm not going to tell you which kind of person I am...because I already told you, and I repeat myself too much as it is.

The only exception to my rule of not liking to exercise with others is when I'm walking in some kind of event--like a 5k. Then, the more the merrier. We're walking for a cause and the togetherness is actually pretty cool. But exercising in general? I want to do it all by myself, Mommy.

Some people are the type that get a lot of encouragement or whatever in walking or jogging with others. I don't understand this. I guess it's nice to have a buddy to hold you accountable or make you feel safe. Other than that, I just really can't think of an upside.

Perhaps there are those who want someone with them so they won't be alone. They want someone to talk with. Okay, but when I'm exercising, I'm usually out of breath. Talking isn't the easiest of activities. I don't really like having to converse between gasps. Also, I kind of like having a good hour or whatever to myself to just think. Usually, my thought processes involve conversations with myself about why I would be a gurlymahn if I didn't keep running another few feet, but still...


I have these ridiculously short legs, too. So it takes me more energy than a long legged person to move my legs. My stride takes two steps for a normal-lengthed-leg person to take one step. So I'm always feeling like my pace is too slow for the other person's. Either that, or I end up walking with someone who doesn't get the concept that I'm walking for exercise. They stroll. I don't like strollers...except for the ones that hold cute kids. Cute kids are awesome.


And I actually DO like walking for exercise while pushing a stroller with a cute kid, but I don't get as many opportunities as I'd like...anyone wanna hire me to push their kid in a stroller? I'm game.



Another thing I really don't like when exercising is interruptions. This is why I don't cross any main intersections while walking or jogging. I don't want to wait for traffic. (Also, I really just HATE crossing the street when there's a lot of traffic. I couldn't handle living in New York. I walk out of my way to avoid busy intersections if at all possible....I may eventually write a blog about my fear of crossing the street). I am fortunate enough to live right next to this beautiful stretch of road with all these old historic houses and such. It's a fantastic place to walk/jog. I am sure that both sides of the street are equally beautiful, but I've only spent a great deal of time on one of them. I run up the sidewalk, and instead of crossing the street, I turn around and run back down the same sidewalk. Usually, this isn't a problem, but I've accidentally almost ran into some other runners. The "oh, we're about to run into each other, so both of us better move out of the way at the same time and in the same direction dance" is even more awkward when you and the other runner are moving really fast.


And I'm not sure if I can say "other runner" because I'm only "a runner" in the technical sense. Sometimes I run. Therefore I am a runner. I can barely run a mile (and sometimes I don't even get that far) without stopping to walk. My running is an odd combination of walking, jogging, and running. So I guess I'm more of a waljogner.


Crossing the road is not the only interruption I've encountered. At least once a week, I run into (almost literally) the crowd of teenagers that doesn't seem to understand that they don't own the sidewalk. I've learned not to expect them to move. I just run around them now, and usually they act like I'm not even there. Maybe I'm invisible to teenagers. Shrug.



Another time, back when I was in college, I had these two Jehovah's Witnesses stop me while I was walking. Dude. I don't care who you are or what your business is. I don't care if it's broad daylight and in a nice neighborhood. It is NEVER okay for two men to approach a lady on the street when she is alone. Maybe if I were a better Christian or something, I would have tried to them about what I believe about Jesus and the Bible, but all I said to them was, "Um, I'm actually trying to exercise here...." And I kept walking. They didn't follow me.



Just to redeem myself a little, I would like to point out that the other day, I actually interrupted myself. There was this elderly lady walking a St. Bernard. Yeah. Not a good combination. Another dog barked, the St. Bernard was startled, and the St. Bernard started dragging the lady down the street. She regained control after getting really shaken up, but I stopped to make sure she was okay. The dog looked up at me, and I realized it thought it was a puppy. That was the biggest puppy I've ever seen, and I told him so. And he drooled, cuz that's what St. Bernards do.


Yeah. I kind of have my own way of exercising, and it's apparently working for me. I'm sure I'd benefit more from a personal trainer or whatever, but I've lost almost 20 pounds since January--and I have lost almost 50 pounds since I decided I was going to lose weight the first time. I'm skinnier than I was when I was a teenager. Which leads me to wonder why there are some people out there who still feel the need to give me diet and exercise advice. Or people try to sell me a gym membership. The reason I bought a used ellpitical (named Jerkface) was so I wouldn't have to go pay to use someone else's elliptical while other people were ellipitcalling all around me. Oh well. I've learned to nod and smile a lot.




Nodding and smiling probably burns a few calories, so I shouldn't complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment