Sunday, March 11, 2012

SAA Ep. #64: Springing Forward!

The cellular phone is a curious device.  I believe its original purpose was to allow a person to have the capability of moving around from location to location while talking to a person in a completely different location.  Now cell phones are smarter than people (doesn't take much, when you really think about it), and now it seems that the main use of a cell phone is to play Angry Birds or check Facebook

I don't have a smart phone.  In fact, I'm pretty sure my phone rode the short bus.  Okay, so that was a bit unfair.  My phone isn't THAT dumb.  It has a small texting keypad and the capability of doing a lot of really interesting things that require a data plan, which I do not have.  It's not my phone's fault it's dumb; it was just never afforded the opportunities that other phones have had.  It's a product of its environment--meaning its owner is cheap.  ...and also scared of phones that are smarter than humans.

Well, since I am generally stupid and suspicious when it comes to technology, I usually don't trust my phone to update itself whenever Daylight Savings Time comes around.  However, my phone has never ceased to automatically update.  So, this year, I decided I'd take a leap of faith and trust my phone.  I set my wake up alarms (yes I have more than one--about 15 of them actually--I usually finally get out of bed around the time the 12th one goes off) for their usual times, and then I went to sleep.

My roommate also trusted her cell phone.  That's important to note.  It's also important to note that my roommate needed to be at church an hour earlier than I did this morning.

I was not awoken by my phone's alarm.  I was awoken to the sound of my roommate fake cussing and rushing around the apartment.  Her phone alarm had not gone off.  Neither had mine. 

So, lesson learned.  Don't trust technology.  Phone clocks don't always automatically update to time changes.  Phone alarms don't always go off.  ...And one day robots will enslave us and make us into human batteries. 

But my evil cell phone's plans to ruin my day were thwarted.  Due to the extraordinary amount of rushing noise my roommate was making, I was woken up with sufficient time to get ready and go to church. 

Even if I had been late for church, that would not be enough to make me hate Daylight Savings Time.  Some people are DST haters, and well, I will let them hate.  It does stink to lose an hour, especially when you have kids and stuff.  But here's the way I see it....

Every autumn, I get mild seasonal depression (That's self-diagnosed, fyi.  I was a psychology minor, so that makes me perfectly qualified to make diagnoses of mood disorders, right?).  When the weather gets colder and the days get shorter, I get mildly depressed--which includes physical EXHAUSTION.  On the other hand, when spring comes around, bringing warmer weather and brighter sunshine, I feel more energized.  So yeah, I will GLADLY give up one hour now if it means that I can have it back in the autumn.  And even though it stinks to lose an hour, the bright side is that I only have to push the "set hour" button once on all my digital clocks.

...in the autumn, it's kind of a pain in the butt to have to press that set hour button eleven times.  And of course, I always get too into it and overshoot, which means I have to push it another eleven times.  One day I might sprain my finger.

Stupid technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment