Sunday, May 8, 2011

SAA Ep. #31: The Awkward Auto-Reply and the Resulting Reactions

This post doesn't have to relate to Mother's Day, but since today IS Mother's Day, that's the direction it is going to go. 

In all seriousness, this day is hard for some people.  Some moms have lost children.  Other moms have miscarried before even getting to hold their children.  Some people have recently lost their mothers--or even if that loss isn't so recent, this day can still be painful.  Some people have strained relationships with their mothers.  Some women can't have children, either because they're single or because they just haven't been able to get pregnant.  There are a lot of reasons why Mother's Day can be painful.  I understand that. 

I'm just not one of those single people who gets sad on Mother's Day.  I happen to have an amazing mother who raised me well and is now one of my best friends.  So I love having another excuse to just celebrate her.  I also enjoy celebrating all the other remarkable moms I know.  Mother's Day is a great idea.  I know some people can't appreciate it the way I do because of different emotions is brings up, and I understand that perfectly, but I happen to like Mother's Day a lot.  There are SO many amazing moms out there who deserve to be celebrated.  That's how I see it. 

But I've just so happened to see a lot of moms in the past few days...you know, because I work with kids.  So I thought it would be nice to at least give these moms a sincere, "Happy Mother's Day" greeting.  So over the course of the past four days, I've probably wished about 50 different women, "Happy Mother's Day," and I've noticed something funny that happens.

You see, it seems to be human nature to respond to a "Happy Wish Greeting" such as "Merry Christmas" with the words, "Thanks, you too!"  (Unless the words "Merry Christmas" offend you, and then you might respond "Bah, Humbug!")  So about 9 out of 10 times I've wished someone a "Happy Mother's Day," I've gotten the traditional, "Thanks, you too!" 

Then comes the funny part.

About 0.3 seconds after the other person responds, "Thanks, you too," she realizes that I'm not a mom.  Then comes the reaction.  One of two things typically happens.  1) The mom just awkwardly smiles and walks away as fast as she can, or 2) The mom starts with the apologetic explanation that goes something like, "Oh, I realize you're not a mom, but...thank you so much for taking care of my kids.  I hope you have a...truly great day...uh...bye." 

I think both of these reactions are funny.

Rest assured, I'm not offended if someone wishes me "Happy Mother's Day."  I'm not a mom, and I don't believe that there is any such thing as a "part time mom."  But if there WERE such a thing as a "part time mom," I would be one.  With that being said, I don't deserve to be wished "Happy Mother's Day," but I definitely don't mind if someone wishes me that anyway.  For one thing, I do take care of a lot of kids and feel pretty motherly most of the time.  In fact, some days, I feel like the old woman who lived in a shoe who had so many children she didn't know what to do (but then I go home from work and can sleep without someone waking me up in the middle of the night to get them a drink of water...so I'm NOT a mom).  I would like to have kids of my own someday...I don't hide that fact.  But if I never get to be a real mom, I'm okay with that, and celebrating Mother's Day doesn't make me feel bitter or sad at all.  As my life is right now, I get to experience all those happy kid smiles and laughs without being the mom who has to sit up all night and worry when her kid has a fever.  I can't complain.  God's blessed me with a lot of kids, as per my request.  I just didn't realize HOW He was going to grant that request...God has a sense of humor.

And another thing, I've already said that I see this day as a day to celebrate moms.  I have an amazing mom.  I know a lot of amazing moms.  If someone wishes me a "Happy Mother's Day," I see that as an encouragement to celebrate the amazing moms I know.

But that awkward auto-reply and the resulting reactions...too funny.  People are hilarious.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment